2016 marks the 400th anniversary of the historic Burial Ground which has been at the heart of Dulwich Village since 1616. Originally planned by the well-known Elizabethan actor/manager, Edward Alleyn, as part of his charity, Alleyn’s College of God’s Gift, it was consecrated by the then Archbishop of Canterbury on 1 September that year following a service at Christ Chapel at the nearby ‘Old College’ earlier in the morning.
The burial ground is unusual in having no church on site and, while clearly visible from the surrounding streets, it is not open to the public. Although burials have taken place since 1616, including victims of the 1625 and 1665 plagues, the earliest visible grave stones and monuments date from the early eighteenth century. It was declared full in 1858, and only a few more burials were allowed, the last in 1918. It remains largely untouched since that time – the quiet country church yard ambience within five miles of central London is unique.
Unfortunately many of the inscriptions on the graves are no longer decipherable but, luckily, records of the names of all those buried there are held by the Dulwich College Archives.
As part of the 400th anniversary commemoration the Society’s local history group has researched the 114 graves and monuments that re visible on the site and prepared a schedule which gives the names, details of the the inscriptions and, where possible, some background on the individuals interred there. (Download the PDF)
The Burial Ground will be open to the public from 1-5pm on both Saturday 17th and Sunday 18th September. Tours of some of the most interesting graves will be offered at 2, 3 and 4pm both days. Advance booking is not required.
The Dulwich Estate issued the following press release on 12 August under the heading ‘The Dulwich Estate brings new homes to the heart of Dulwich Village’
The Dulwich Estate is pleased to announce that twelve new family homes including four ‘affordable’ homes will be built on the former Audi workshop site in Dulwich Village. The development will be built by the new freeholder McCulloch Homes Ltd, which has a strong reputation for building innovative, quality homes, during the past 26 years in the South East.
John Major, Chief Executive, The Dulwich Estate said, “We are pleased to enable these new family homes with off-street, basement, parking in the centre of the Village. The redevelopment also eliminates traffic from the Village (generated by the car repair/servicing workshop), enhancing the Village for local residents which very much matches with the ethos of the Charity’s Scheme of Management.”
Terry Phillips, Land Manager for McCulloch Homes Ltd said “We are delighted to have secured this prime location in Dulwich Village where we will build these highly desirable homes which have been carefully designed to suit their surroundings”.
Planning consent is granted for:
Eight three storey town houses (4 x 4 bed and 4 x 5 bed) with basement parking (two spaces per house).
Four affordable homes with basement parking
The Friends of Judith Kerr Primary School have nominated former local resident Sir James Black for a Blue Plaque to be located on the main school building, formerly the Sir James Black Centre. Sir James was a Nobel-winning pharmacologist who developed beta blockers and anti-ulcer drugs. Voting is ongoing now, closing on 15 September. It can be done via nomination cards in Southwark Libraries or by downloading the form: www.southwark.gov.uk
M&S has announced it will open a new Foodhall in Dulwich on Wednesday 31 August at 10am.
Construction of the new building on the old East Dulwich Police Station site is well advanced and the school is due to relocate to the new building from its temporary site on 1st September.
Work to reinstate a gate and safe access to the subway is nearly complete and should be in operation for this year’s Open House. Local businesses and many residents contributed towards the funds required and the Dulwich Society helped by securing £16,000 from Southwark Council’s Cleaner Greener Safer scheme to go with £15,000 from Bromley Council Crystal Palace Park Community Projects Fund and a £3,500 grant from The Heritage of London Trust.
The Chestnut tree in front of 109 Dulwich Village is seriously decayed and will be cut down shortly. It will be replaced by a London Plane tree.
Following on from a successful event in 2015, the White Stuff Foundation are again seeking LOCAL ARTISTS to donate a hand-painted postcard which will be mounted and hung in the shop from November. Each original piece will be sold for £15 with all proceeds going to The Dog Kennel Hill Adventure Playground. Info packs are available at the shop at 28-30 Lordship Lane, or call 0208 693 9381 for more details. www.whitestuff.com/foundation
On 1 October Blue Patch, a local online market place for sustainable products and services, is setting up the country’s ﬁrst pop-up Sustainable Department Store, showcasing the best of Britain’s ethical small businesses, in St Barnabas Village Hall. All of the companies at the store are part of the Blue Patch Collective, a social enterprise that curates and sells the very best products online from British manufacturers and independent workshops. Location: St Barnabas Parish Hall. Time: 10am-6pm.
Southern Railway have this week announced that they will be implementing an emergency timetable from Monday 11th July, which will result in the cancellation of 341 services across their network. Dulwich & West Norwood MP, Helen Hayes, has written the following letter to the Rail Minister, Claire Perry MP, about the entirely unacceptable impacts that the emergency timetable will have on my constituents. Please see the full text below:
"Thank you for meeting with me on 22nd June 2016. I was pleased to have the opportunity to raise Southern Railway’s poor performance with you and Southern’s most senior managers, and to discuss the urgent improvements needed to resolve the unacceptably poor service experienced by my constituents on a daily basis.
I had understood from that meeting that steps were being taken to address Southern’s performance, and that while this may take several weeks to complete, my constituents would begin to see an improvement in the reliability of rail services across Dulwich and West Norwood shortly.
At our meeting, neither you nor Charles Horton, the Chief Executive of Southern, or Dyan Crowther, Southern’s Chief Operating Officer, raised the possibility of the introduction of an emergency timetable which is due to be implemented next week with minimal prior warning and communication.
The emergency timetable sees the withdrawal of 341 services from the GTR network. The services to be cancelled are heavily concentrated in South London, including the vast majority of the peak hour commuter services running from stations in and very close to my constituency – North Dulwich, East Dulwich, Peckham Rye, Denmark Hill, Gipsy Hill and Crystal Palace as well as the withdrawal of all services to London Bridge from West Norwood and Tulse Hill.
This is effectively the collapse of commuter rail services in my constituency, and coming on top of more than 18 months of appalling service levels, cancelled trains, short trains and overcrowding as a consequence of the earlier phases of the London Bridge works, it is completely unacceptable.
To add insult to injury I understand from a telephone conversation with Southern this afternoon that although Southern is advertising a replacement bus service, this is not actually the case – the thousands of my constituents who normally travel by train are expected to use already overcrowded existing bus services, or equally crowded train services from other stations, without Southern taking any steps whatsoever to provide their own replacement bus service.
The rationale for the emergency timetable appears to be to enable Southern Railway to run a more reliable service. This will come as cold comfort to the thousands of my constituents who will be severely impacted by these changes, because the services they rely on will not now be running at all. It is a shifting of the goalposts which seems entirely aimed at improving Southern Railway's performance statistics rather than improving services for passengers.
It is also entirely unacceptable that such a dramatic change was introduced apparently without any warning, any published assessment of the likely impact, or any consultation with passenger groups, and that no timetable has been set for the restoration of a normal level of service.
As you know, confidence in Southern Railway amongst passengers is already at rock bottom. The fact that such a dramatic curtailing of the timetable is considered to be an appropriate response to the current crisis and an acceptable level of inconvenience for passengers to bear, demonstrates further that the leadership of Southern Railway does not have the capacity to regain public confidence.
I am therefore calling on you, as a matter of urgency, to remove the franchise from Southern and for the Department of Transport to take over the running of the service directly, while arrangements are put in place to subsequently transfer the services to Transport for London (TfL) once TfL has built up capacity to take on the franchise.
Given the unacceptably disproportionate focus of the cuts to services in South London I must also ask that the emergency timetable is further revised immediately to distribute its impacts more fairly across the network. It is also critical that Southern provides a real replacement bus service, or contributes to additional capacity on existing bus routes, so that the already overcrowded public transport system in South London is not completely overwhelmed as a consequence of the emergency timetable.
I look forward to hearing from you as a matter of urgency."
The Dulwich Community Council meeting (DCC) on 22 June heard representations from local residents, Southwark Cyclists, Dulwich and Herne Hill Safe Routes to School, and local MP Helen Hayes over the implementation of the proposed new Quietway. Local councillors recommended a pause in the process while key issues were reviewed.
They suggested a trial, not only of the change of priority at the junction in Dulwich Village, but also the reduction of three lanes to two on Court Lane/Calton Avenue. They also wanted no further action on the current proposals until the results were in from a study into alternative routes for the school coaches for Alleyn’s, JAGS and Dulwich College, which all currently use the proposed Quietway.
The public consultation meetings over the Dulwich Almshouse Trust’s proposal to build new accommodation next to the Judith Kerr Primary School were held on 8th and 11th June. Over 200 people attended and there were 130 written responses.
The new book on the Pubs of Dulwich and Herne Hill will be published next week. Copies cost £9.50 and will be on sale at the local pubs exhibition at Rosebery Lodge on Sunday 15 May 12.00-4.00. Otherwise they can be purchased online through the Herne Hill Society’s online bookshop at hernehillsociety.org.uk.
The new post box has been installed and we expect the ATM to follow shortly.
Revised plans for the JAGS music school have been submitted to Southwark Council (Southwark ref: 16/AP/2403). The scheme has been reviewed following the arrival of a new head last autumn and both reduced in size and modified to integrate better with the existing school buildings.
We have 40 guests and no members online