2016 marks the 400th anniversary of the historic Burial Ground which has been at the heart of Dulwich Village since 1616. Originally planned by the well-known Elizabethan actor/manager, Edward Alleyn, as part of his charity, Alleyn’s College of God’s Gift, it was consecrated by the then Archbishop of Canterbury on 1 September that year following a service at Christ Chapel at the nearby ‘Old College’ earlier in the morning.
The burial ground is unusual in having no church on site and, while clearly visible from the surrounding streets, it is not open to the public. Although burials have taken place since 1616, including victims of the 1625 and 1665 plagues, the earliest visible grave stones and monuments date from the early eighteenth century. It was declared full in 1858, and only a few more burials were allowed, the last in 1918. It remains largely untouched since that time – the quiet country church yard ambience within five miles of central London is unique.
Unfortunately many of the inscriptions on the graves are no longer decipherable but, luckily, records of the names of all those buried there are held by the Dulwich College Archives.
As part of the 400th anniversary commemoration the Society’s local history group has researched the 114 graves and monuments that re visible on the site and prepared a schedule which gives the names, details of the the inscriptions and, where possible, some background on the individuals interred there. (Download the PDF)
The Burial Ground will be open to the public from 1-5pm on both Saturday 17th and Sunday 18th September. Tours of some of the most interesting graves will be offered at 2, 3 and 4pm both days. Advance booking is not required.
The Dulwich Society Executive Committee have great pleasure in inviting you to a party at St Barnabas Parish Hall, Dulwich Village on Saturday 8th October 2016 at 8pm. All Society members and partners are welcome.
There will be music and entertainment throughout the evening, and wine, soft drinks and canapes will be served. The cost is £10 per person.
It has now been confirmed that the Crown and Greyhound will not re-open until mid-January. While the front ‘pub’ building is complete there have been further delays on the ‘hotel’ block at the rear. The Dulwich Estate has not been able to reach agreement with Mitchells and Butler over a partial handover. The good news is that, on the Half Moon, Fullers have now completed the lease and preliminary enabling work should begin on Monday 12 September.
The Friends of Judith Kerr Primary School have nominated former local resident Sir James Black for a Blue Plaque to be located on the main school building, formerly the Sir James Black Centre. Sir James was a Nobel-winning pharmacologist who developed beta blockers and anti-ulcer drugs. Voting is ongoing now, closing on 15 September. It can be done via nomination cards in Southwark Libraries or by downloading the form: www.southwark.gov.uk
From 1 October Southwark residents will no longer be able to use the Lambeth recycling centre there. There are local recycling facilities in the Belair Park carpark, large items will have to be taken to the main Council centre at Devon Street off the Old Kent Road.
The new gate and stair access to the subway was officially opened on Thursday 8 September. The next stage of the work is the repaving of the outside space on the Southwark side. The Subway is open for Open House on 17/18 September.
There is some concern amongst the users of Dulwich Park that the new tenant at the café will not be in place when the current one leaves at the end of October. The Society has lobbied councillors to make sure that the café remains open continuously.
Following a further safety audit, some posts are to be installed to provide a clear separation between the cycling and car lanes.
On 1 October Blue Patch, a local online market place for sustainable products and services, is setting up the country’s ﬁrst pop-up Sustainable Department Store, showcasing the best of Britain’s ethical small businesses, in St Barnabas Village Hall. All of the companies at the store are part of the Blue Patch Collective, a social enterprise that curates and sells the very best products online from British manufacturers and independent workshops. Location: St Barnabas Parish Hall. Time: 10am-6pm.
We have 64 guests and no members online