The Group works to enhance Dulwich's unique character by actively encouraging the highest quality in the built environment and opposing inappropriate development whether individual houses, extensions, hard standings, road signs or fly posting. In doing so the Group recognises that residents' life styles vary and that growth and change are positive forces for the future.
The Group holds regular meetings to review planning applications. Its activities include:
- Monitoring all planning applications on the Dulwich Estate and those in Southwark and Lambeth which affect Dulwich.
- Supporting the Dulwich Estate in the application of their guidelines eg. not allowing UPVC windows in older houses.
- Working in conjunction with the traffic and trees committees to secure a co-ordinated response to any development proposals.
- Encouraging contemporary design where appropriate.
- Assisting Society members in objecting to inappropriate development proposals.
- Actively encouraging a wide range of retail activity in Dulwich Village, West Dulwich and Herne Hill.