Here are some of the gardening and wildlife organisations in and around Dulwich which would be pleased to hear from you if you would like to spend time helping them. Please check that the volunteering sessions are on the days and times shown before turning up with your wellies and gardening gloves, since they can change from time to time.
Bell House, a volunteer-led educational charity in the heart of Dulwich Village, is surrounded by beautiful and historic gardens. Volunteers are welcomed on Saturday and Thursday mornings from 9:30 - 11:30am, and Tuesday afternoon 2-4pm.
- Bell House Dulwich, 27 College Road, Dulwich, London SE21 7BG
Brockwell Park Community Greenhouses
Brockwell Park Community Greenhouses (BPCG) is a community garden in the centre of Lambeth’s Brockwell Park. The large site includes an orchard, a series of demonstration gardens, a walled herb garden and two commercial-sized greenhouses.
Volunteer gardeners (no experience necessary) are welcome Thursday to Sunday 10am to 5pm (summer) 4pm (winter).
- BPCG Brockwell Hall, Brockwell Park, London SE24 0PA
- To discuss volunteering, telephone Kate on 07834 343664 or Cat on 07503 919973, or email
Centre for Wildlife Gardening, Peckham
Wildlife garden and award-winning visitor centre in a quiet residential street in Peckham, which is now working with Southwark Adult Learning Service as a delivery partner for family learning. Volunteer days are run on Wednesdays.
- 28 Marsden Road, London, SE15 4EE
- Contact Jo on 020 3897 6151 or email
Dulwich Park Friends
The Friends run ‘Tend the Park’ volunteer sessions on the first Saturday of every month (subject to reasonable weather), from 10am-1pm. This may involve activities as varied as bulb planting, dead heading and care of the lake
- Dulwich Park, College Road, Dulwich, London SE21 7BQ (sessions normally meet at the Francis Peek Centre)
Dulwich Upper Wood Local Nature Reserve
Conservation volunteers are very welcome at Dulwich Upper Wood – part of the ancient Great North Wood.
- Dulwich Upper Woods – TCV (The Conservation Volunteers), Farquhar Rd, Dulwich, London SE19 1SS
- The site warden is Michael Williams -020 8761 6230 or
- Twitter: @dulwichuwood
Dulwich Vegetable Garden
The DVG was established to encourage people to learn about growing their own fruit and vegetables. The produce from the garden is shared with volunteers when it is harvested. Everyone is welcome to look around or join the activities.
- Dulwich Park, College Road, Dulwich, London SE21 7BQ (the garden is behind Rosebery Lodge in Dulwich Park).
- Open Sundays and Wednesdays, 10.30am-12.30pm. Email
- The DVG sells fruit and vegetable plants every year at Dulwich Park Fair (17 May 2020)
Dulwich Village Orchard
Established in 2019 on the site of the Old Grammar School playground, the orchard features heritage apple trees from the Brogdale National Collection in Kent, wildflower meadows and seating areas. Volunteers work with the London Wildlife Trust to maintain the orchard.
- Dulwich Village Orchard, Gallery Road, London, SE21 7AE
Great North Wood project (London Wildlife Trust)
The Great North Wood used to stretch between the Thames and Croydon. London Wildlife Trust is working in the areas that remain (including Sydenham Hill Wood and Dulwich Wood) to improve habitats for wildlife with well-organised volunteer workdays throughout the year.
- Multiple sites
- Call 020 3897 6151 or email:
Horniman Museum Gardens
The Horniman Museum Gardens comprise 16 acres of beautifully maintained formal and natural landscapes [already said this], including a new grasslands garden, a wildlife garden, a meadow field and the oldest nature trail in London. Volunteers support the gardens team, with vacancies posted on the website.
- The Horniman Public Museum and Public Park Trust, 100 London Road, Forest Hill, London SE23 3PQ
Link Age Southwark
Link Age Southwark connects volunteers with local older people, with gardening volunteers helping them with light gardening such as weeding and tidying, allowing older people to maintain safe and tidy gardens.
- Locations – vary (across Southwark)
- Call 020 8299 2623 or email
Old Dairy Health Centre, Croxted Road
The ODHC Gardening Group is a group of volunteers who develop and tend the gardens within the Practice complex.
- The Old Dairy Health Centre, 19B Croxted Road, London SE21 8SZ
- Please check the website for details of the next volunteering session