BARRY, Charles Jr 1823-1900. Architect. The eldest son of Sir Charles Barry, architect in the 1830s of the present Houses of Parliament and of the Old Grammar School in Dulwich and was his father’s General Superintendent at the Palace of Westminster for two years and designed some of the ornamentation on the Clock Tower there. In 1858 he was appointed to succeed his father as Architect and Surveyor to the Dulwich College Estate, to be in turn succeeded by his son Charles Edward Barry on his death. Barry was President of the RIBA. from 1876-79, and his award of their Gold Medal in 1877 cited the New College at Dulwich, designed in a style he called ‘North Italian of the Thirteenth century’, and his other famous work, the extension to Burlington House adjoining the Royal Academy of Arts, in Piccadilly. Under Barry the Dulwich College Estate was developed speedily but carefully, and he was responsible for two churches on the estate (St Stephen’s, College Road and St Peter’s Lordship Lane) and some fine villas and railway buildings. Elsewhere Barry designed nine churches and several country mansions. At one time he lived at The Priory in Orpington, now the premises of Bromley Local History Museum, and also at Lapsewood, Sydenham Hill.