JARVIS, Henry 1816-1900. Architect. Jarvis spent the last twelve or more years of his life at 502 Lordship Lane, Dulwich. Previously he had lived at 29 Trinity Church Square, Southwark, where he and his son, also Henry Jarvis, carried on their architectural practice. He was a surveyor for the parish of St Mary Newington and later District Surveyor for Camberwell and designed many Victorian Gothic churches in the Southwark area. Most of these were destroyed by bombing during World War Two or subsequently demolished, but St John’s Larcom Street, Walworth, and also the former St Augustine’s Bermondsey are still standing.
Probably the best-known surviving work by Jarvis is the former St Mary Newington Vestry Hall, Walworth Road, erected in 1865, which later became the Metropolitan Borough of Southwark Town Hall, and is now used as municipal offices for the London Borough of Southwark. It is a typically ornate Victorian building of red brick and Portland stone with strange heads above the windows and columns of polished red granite. It is now a listed building. Henry Jarvis is buried in Nunhead Cemetery.