JOHNSTONE, Philip Mainwaring 1865-1936. Architect. Johnstone was a distinguished architect who lived on the borders of Dulwich for most of his life and, for the last almost thirty years, at the house he designed for himself, 44 Champion Hill, known originally as Sussex Lodge. The date on the front of it is 1907.
He is known locally for his book, ‘Old Camberwell: its history and antiquities’ (1919), based on earlier histories but informed by his personal knowledge of the area. Its titlepage indicates his much wider importance, as a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London and of the Royal Institute of British Architects. His career began with study at King’s College, London, and travel in this country and abroad to widen his knowledge. He was articled to architect John Belcher, (qv) who was later to be his close neighbour and friend.
Particularly interested in historic architecture, he worked mainly on the restoration of old churches in Sussex, Kent and Suffolk and became architect to Chichester Cathedral and to Stratford-on-Avon Preservation Trust. His work also included twelve of the war memorials set up after World War One. He was a pioneer in rescuing medieval wall-paintings, notably those at Clayton Church, Sussex. He was interested also in archaeology and became Vice-President of the British Archaeological Association and of the Surrey Archaeological Society. He compiled a schedule of the antiquities of Surrey and contributed to the Victoria County History of that county and to other publications. He is buried at West Norwood Cemetery.