The house and estate later comprising Allison Grove was ancient copyhold. In 1795 it was conveyed to Caleb Marshall. After his daughter Allison Allen Marshall (later Mrs Castondeick) died in 1859, the property was enfranchised by her heir TW Parker, who in 1868 named the development Allison Grove, after his benefactress. ‘Allison Towers’ stood on the corner with Dulwich Common until the early 1960s. The house of the Joyce family (the most well-known, indeed notorious, member of which was William Joyce (1906-1946), alias ‘Lord Haw-Haw’, Nazi propagandist), in Allison Grove, was ironically the first in Dulwich to be bombed during the 1940 Blitz.