Named in 1952 after John Attleborough (fl. 1399), Prior of Bermondsey Abbey in 1399 and made the first Abbot of the house at Bermondsey Abbey by Pope Boniface IX. One of three blocks of flats on the Sydenham Hill Estate named after abbots (or priors) of Bermondsey Abbey (or Priory), lord of the manor of Dulwich from 1127 to the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1538. The others are Bromleigh Court and Dunton Court.