Formerly Boxall’s Row. In about 1773 John Shaw (wheelwright) and William Levens (builder) built six brick houses at the eastern end (starting with a Wheelwright’s shop) of what became Boxall Row, for Robert Boxall, lessee of The Greyhound Inn. The road was formally named in 1876 and gradually extended westward, to link up with Turney Road in the late 1870s.