The original Coppedhall was one of the houses on the north side of Dulwich Common, between the modern Gallery Road and College Road (and probably not far from the modern ’Orchard’ Junior Boarding House of Dulwich College), first mentioned (as ‘le Coppedhalle’) in 1435. The name, which simply implies a tiled pitched roof, is not mentioned in the records after 1523, until its modern reappearance for a housing development in Croxted Road.