First mentioned in 1599, as ‘the highway leading from the Manor House’, and referred to as Dulwich Court Lane in 1619, from Dulwich Court Farm, later Constable’s Farm (129 or so acres, formerly the demesne lands of the lord of the Manor), which lay on either side of it, the southern fields later forming the nucleus of Dulwich Park. First mentioned as Court Lane in 1834. The Court belonged to Bermondsey Abbey before the dissolution of the monasteries c1539. It was later owned by the Calton family before Edward Alleyn bought the manor of Dulwich.