The street was named in 1877. Crebor Villa stood on the site. Crebor comes from crib-ber, the short ridge; crib-ver, the great ridge; or crib-per, the bare rock; ber also means a gentle eminence. There is a place called Crebor and an associated farm and an abandoned mine, Wheal Crebor, in Devon, near Tavistock. The vein on which the mine was developed was found when the Tavistock Canal was dug to link up the town with the River Tamar.