Crouchmans (first mentioned 1400) was a 3-acre piece of land on the site of the present ‘Bell House’ in College Road. In 1629 Edmund Redman, Dulwich husbandman, was leased a house and lands called Agnesfields, Dickriddinges and Crouchmans, 29 acres in all, for 21 years at £17 10 shillings pa. A subsequent lessee (from 1769) was Thomas Wright, who built Bell House. The name has been given to a modern development between Low Cross Wood Lane and Sydenham Hill.