The Surrey hounds had their kennels on Dog Kennel Hill. The kennels were demolished in 1908. The name first came from the Canel family of Dulwich who appear in a 1431 deed. The Canels (or de Canels) owned a property of six acres called Canelcroft, where the Tessa Jowell Medical Centre is today. By 1597 the name of the lane from Camberwell to Canelcroft and on to Goose Green had changed to Kennalls and with the building of the dog kennels in the 18th century it was an easy transition to Dog Kennel Lane, later Hill.