Named in 1952 after Richard Dunton or Denton (fl. 1381), one of the founders of the Hospital of St. Thomas and first English prior of Bermondsey Priory in 1380, before that it had been centred on the French abbey of Cluny. One of three blocks of flats on the Sydenham Hill Estate named after abbots (or priors) of Bermondsey Abbey (or Priory), lord of the manor of Dulwich from 1127 to the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1538. The others are Attleborough Court and Bromleigh Court.