A corruption of Feerings. A modern development on the west side of College Road, near the Toll gate. Feringes Coppice was mentioned in 1575 and (in Alleyn’s Diary) in 1621 and last used in 1765. It took its name from an unknown member of the Feringe, Fearinge, or Feering (and a few other variations) family, mentioned as Dulwich residents and tenants from 1561 to 1658. By 1642 Feerings Coppice had become simply Feerings (being no longer woodland) and was stated to be 24 acres. It lay on the west side of College Road, from Hunt’s Slip Road to just north of Sydenham Hill Station.