Named in 1868. Much of East Dulwich was in the manor of Friern. In the Middle Ages this manor belonged to the priory of Halliwell, Shoreditch. As Halliwell was a house of nuns, lay-brothers or ‘freren’ managed the manor and that is how it received its name. The manor house was where the junction of Friern Road and Underhill Road are now.