Formerly Back Lane, from the Village to Dulwich Common. The Court Rolls for 1621 reported that ‘the road next to the College, on the west part, is virtually ruined, but Edward Alleyn has laid out a piece of land, containing 60 rods, adjoining the same, for a new road, to be made up at his expense (with a bridge over the common sewer there) but afterwards to be maintained by the inhabitants.’  Takes its name from the Dulwich Picture Gallery, the first public picture gallery in London (and arguably anywhere in the world), designed by Sir John Soane and built in 1814. The original collection was built up by various gifts and bequests to the College, greatly added to by Sir Peter Francis Bourgeois and by Noel Desenfans and his wife Margaret, whose mausoleum adjoins the Gallery on the Gallery Road side. Further south, on the west side, stands ’Belair’