A lease granted in 1745 reserved an 11ft-wide cartway (now Grange Lane) for the College, through to its woods. The Grange, built by Thomas Lett in about 1812, stands half-way up Grange Lane, on the site of a much earlier building (called New Barn in 1746), and gives it its present name (it was previously called Occupation Road). It was largely rebuilt after World War Two by Gerald Fairlie, who lived there for many years.