Brownynges is first mentioned in 1405, and two closes called greate Browninges and lyttell Browninges in 1575. Although the evidence is not entirely consistent, Great Brownings (at the Village end of Court Lane, on the north-east side) seems to have been about seven acres, and Little Brownings (south-west of it, on the same side of Court Lane) comprised two parcels, each of about 3½ acres. Great Brownings seems to have been retained, along with Howletts on the south side of the old College, for the College’s own purposes, until the land was developed in the 19th century. The name has been given to a secluded modern development on the east side of College Road, looping up northwards to Low Cross Wood Lane.