First mentioned, as Spendelmanfeld, in 1404, and later divided into Great and Little Spilmans. Both were included from 1659 onwards in leases of what became eventually the Belair estate, although from 1743 Great Spilmans, which conveniently lay opposite the back gate of the old College, was retained by the College for its own use. It later became Lloyds Register Sports Ground. The modern development of that name lies south of East Dulwich Grove, opposite James Allen’s Girls’ School and was named in 1964.