First mentioned, as Gylcoteland, in a Survey of Dulwich Woods of about 1542. A field called Gillcotts lands (4 acres) was leased by Francis Calton to John Bone, with Hall Place, in 1597. Gilcott Lands was included from 1659 onwards in leases of what became eventually the Belair estate. The modern variation, Gylcote Close, is a southern spur of Crossthwaite Avenue.