According to Blanch, the Camberwell historian, Howlettes Acre in Half Moon Lane was given by Sir Edmond Bowyer in 1626 to the use of the poor of Camberwell and was sold by the parish to Mr George Keen of Herne Hill in 1858. In 1888 JP Thol occupied ’Howlettes’, a house (& two acres) on the south side of Half Moon Lane. A completely different parcel of land called Howletts Mead, or ’The Howletts’, or ’Howlettes Green’, lay south of the old College, occupying most of the area between Gallery Road and College Road.