First mentioned in the Court Rolls for 1404, as 26 acres formerly called Gerardes, now Kinelles, after Sir Robert Knolles (evidently pronounced with a hard ’k’). Dealings involving the freehold Kenelles or Kennalls (probably approximating to the area between the east ends of Burbage Road and Turney Road, and about six acres) figure frequently up to 1606, when Edward Alleyn bought it. The name is now applied to a housing estate in Croxted Road, north of Acacia Grove.