Named in 1965 but first mentioned in a survey done for Henry VIII in 1542-43, Lings Coppice lay south of the old mansion called Hall Place, within an area now bounded approximately by South Croxted Road, Church Approach, and Alleyn Road/Alleyn Park. From 1633 (by which time it had been converted to pasture and divided into four or five closes) it was invariably leased with Hall Place. After 1685 the name fell into disuse, until its modern revival.