Named in 1867 after Apsley Pellatt (1791-1863), a factory owner, politician and prominent member of the congregational body. He inherited his father’s Southwark glass factory and developed an innovative process for the enclosure of ceramics within glass. He was MP for Southwark 1852-1857. He was largely instrumental in securing the admission of Jews to the freedom of the city of London. Pellatt was twice married, first, in 1814, to Sophronia, daughter of George Kemp of Reading (she died in February 1815); secondly, in 1816, to Margaret Elizabeth, daughter of George Evans of Balham, who survived him. He died in 1863 and left three daughters, his only son having died about 1839.