The site of the original Perifield (first mentioned in 1329) can be located to the site presently occupied by the Charter School, North Dulwich (variously Dulwich High School for Boys and William Penn School), and its history, remarkably, can be continuously traced from 1373 to the present day. The name means ’the field of pear trees’. In 1606 it was sold to Edward Alleyn, and thereafter its history is documented in leases granted by Alleyn and subsequently by Dulwich College, almost all of which are still extant. The modern Perifield is west of Croxted Road, adjoining Walkerscroft Mead, Pymers Mead, etc.