When in the 1960s the local authority was trawling for possible names for new housing developments, including those on the west side of Croxted Road, one of those submitted was Pynners Mead, but unfortunately the name has now been perpetuated as the meaningless Pymers Mead. The local authority got the name right, however, in naming one of the blocks of flats along Herne Hill as Pynnersmead. The original Pynners Mead or Pynners Leasue (indeed, the latter variant appears more often, a leasue being another term for a meadow) was about 3½ acres somewhere in the area bounded by Danecroft Road, Elmwood Road, Red Post Hill and Herne Hill, and was possibly named after Richard de Pynnore, who witnessed a Dulwich deed in 1340, or after Margaret Pynnor, mentioned in a Deed of Release of unspecified Dulwich property in 1473.