The Victorian writer and critic John Ruskin lived much of his life in the Herne Hill area. From 1823-43 at a house on the site of 26 Herne Hill, and from 1843 to 1872 leasing from the College a house (later 163 Denmark Hill) built in 1807. After Ruskin’s time his house became the Ruskin Manor Hotel. It was demolished in 1949. Ruskin Walk was a new road constructed in the 19th century roughly on the line of an old walkway called Simpson’s Alley.