Almost certainly named after Robert Waldecart of Ludham, mentioned as the purchaser in 1315 of a freehold messuage and 9 acres in Dulwich (called Reygates). He must also have held two acres of copyhold, subsequently referred to almost invariably (allowing for spelling variations) as Walkerscroft. Evidence of its precise location is frustratingly absent, despite its frequent appearances in the old records, from 1428 (as Fulkart). In 1497 there is the significant spelling Walcardescrofte and, in 1568, Waulcardise Crofte. Walkerscroft Mead, the name given to part of the development in Croxted Road which includes Pymers Mead and Perifield, is accordingly tautologous.