Separated from the rest of Dulwich, of which it was once an important part, by a railway line and a large council estate, it is now easy to think of the area of Champion Hill as being more part of Camberwell with which it shares a postal code.  Yet it has always been part of the historic Manor of Dulwich and remains part of the Dulwich Estate.  Several boundary stones dating from 1806 when a large scale redevelopment of Dulwich was contemplated, survive.

In this, the first part of a two- part look at the area, Bernard Nurse and Ian Mcinnes examine the Cleeve Hall council estate which extends eastwards from Greendale foot/cycle path and Sharon O’Connor considers the extensive German colony which settled on Champion Hill.