Dulwich College War Memorial newly Listed Grade II
War Memorial to the memory of 'Old Alleynians' and 'Alleyn Old Boys' who fell in the First World War, constructed in 1920 and attributed to WH Atkin-Berry, a former pupil of the College; also two plinths commemorating those who fell in the Second World War.
DESCRIPTION: It comprises an octagonal Portland stone memorial cross on an octagonal pedestal surmounting a further substantial octagonal pedestal with bronze panels to each face. All is situated on three octagonal tiered steps, totalling over 9m in height.
The Coat of Arms of the College is mounted on the bronze plaque on the western face of the upper tier. The words 'MORTUI VIVUNT' appear, in relief, on the western face of the bottom tier above a bronze plaque bearing a laurel wreath and the words 'PUERI / ALLEYNIENSES / MCMXIV - MCMXIX'. The remaining seven bronze panels contain the 485 names (481 pupils and 4 masters) who fell in the First World War, with additional names on a small bronze plaque on the eastern face of the top step. Embellishment is minimal, with scrolled leaves on the cross, diamond enhanced architraves to the panels of the bottom tier, and fluted molding to the base of the pedestal.
Two Portland stone table plinths, to the northern and southern sides of the principal monument, commemorate the 352 fallen of the Second World War. The decoration of these echoes that of the earlier monument, in that the simple inscription '1939-1945' can be found above bronze plaques, bearing the names of the fallen, on the eastern and western sides of both plinths, and the panels are edged with the same diamond pattern architrave.
The War Memorial stands in the grounds of Dulwich College, and has a visual and contextual relationship with Dulwich College Main Building (Grade II*) and the Entrance Gates and piers of Dulwich College (Grade II).
HISTORY: Dulwich College was founded by Edward Alleyn in 1619. The original college buildings at Dulwich Old College date from the C17, although they were extensively remodelled in the C19; in 1857 the old foundation was reformed, and new buildings were erected for the school by the younger Charles Barry in 1866-70 at the present location, approximately half a mile from Dulwich Old College.
The Dulwich College War Memorial was designed by Mr WH Atkin-Berry FRIBA, a former pupil of the College and unveiled by another former pupil Major General Sir Webb Gillman (1870-1933) on Founders' Day, 17th June 1921. Originally, the memorial stood on a pavement de-marked by four square bollards. However, when the plinths recording the fallen of the Second World War were erected, the pavement was extended and the bollards removed.
The names of The Fallen of the First World War filled the memorial and instead of erecting a second memorial, to those who fell in the Second World War, two table plinths were erected flanking the primary monument. It was decided that 'the College War memorial should take the form of a new Great Hall, which will seat the whole school, and there can be no more worthy object than this memorial to those who gave their lives in the War. The target aimed at is £50,000 contribution towards which will be welcomed'. At the same time two books known as the "Dulwich College War Record" were published, and in them are the portraits and biographies of all who fell, a list of Honours and Distinctions, and a Roll of over 3000 men associated with the College who served in the forces.
LBS Number: 508022 Grade: II Date Listed: 19/05/2010 NGR: TQ3325272989
First World War memorial, designed by William Douglas Caröe.
DESCRIPTION: The War Memorial, of Hoptonwood Stone, comprises a diamond entablature featuring Christ the King (on both the northern and southern sides), on a tall tapering shaft raised on a square pedestal and stepped octagonal four-tier plinth. The square pedestal has panel motifs on each side: those to the east and west are floral in design, whereas the southern one, facing the door of the Chapel, is designed as a two-pane trefoil-headed window, with decorated pediment. The panel to the north illustrates the College Shield (part of the Coat of Arms - a shield with a chevron (bent bar) dividing three cinquefoils gules (red five pointed stars) with 'DETUR GLORIA / SOLI DEO', 'Let glory be given to God alone' the College Motto, inscribed above it.
The bottom three tiers of the plinth are undecorated. However, the top tier is inscribed with dedicatory lines. Encircling the top of the plinth, starting at the north-west corner, with raised letters, the inscription reads: 'IN HONOUR OF THE MEN / OF THIS FOUNDATION WHO / SERVED IN THE GREAT / WAR 1914-1919 AND IN / SOLEMN REMEMBRANCE / OF THOSE WHO DIED FOR / LIBERTY AND JUSTICE TO / THE GLORY OF GOD'. Below the inscription is a band of square floral and geometric motifs.
The War Memorial has a visual and contextual relationship with Dulwich Old College (Grade II) and the entrance gates and piers of Dulwich Old College (Grade II).
The war memorial in the forecourt of the Old Dulwich College was designed by William Douglas Caröe (1857-1938) and dedicated to the memory of 'Old Alleynians' and 'Alleyn Old Boys' who fell in the First World War. It dates from 1921. In addition, a memorial in the form of oak panelling by Mr Lawrence Turner and inscribed with the names of The Fallen was erected in 1920 on the south wall of Christ's Chapel (listed as part of Dulwich Old College at Grade II) beneath the gallery. There is a separate war memorial at the new Dulwich College buildings.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
The War Memorial at Dulwich Old College, College Road in Dulwich is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
- Architectural Interest: a good example of a memorial to The Fallen of the First World War; designed by the eminent architect, William Douglas Caröe;
- Historic Significance: the monument has very strong historic and cultural significance, on both a local and national scale;
- Group Value: the War Memorial has a strong visual and contextual relationship with a number of listed buildings at Dulwich Old College.
At a Service of Consecration in July 2010, the War Memorial Garden at Alleyn’s School on the corner of Townley Road and Calton Avenue was consecrated by the Revd Canon Dianna Gwilliams, the Foundation Chaplain and the Revd Anthony Buckley, Chaplain of Alleyn’s School.